Wednesday, January 21, 2009

PASTEL GARDENS & INTERIOR DECORATING

The garden drawn on the walls of my living room makes the adult in me go WHY! and it's not a question.

The three year old child who does not yet have an internalized adult self only grins at her work.

"Look mama, I drew a pink dinosaur on the wall." There is a garden of love in her heart. She doesn't seem to understand "color only on your paper" even though if I ask her she will tell me that we must "never color on the walls."

She is just a baby really and I'm thinking about the labor that I will have to give someday to erase all the markings. Probably a whole new paint job for the entire house. There seems to be no other way around it.

But perhaps even in that work too I will find Zen - the peace that comes from losing thought to physical work.

I will tend to the garden of my walls. So why fret now? Why not give her the box of crayons and say, "Have a nice time!" ???????

1 comment:

  1. My adult response to your response of "Give her the crayons and tell her to have a nice time" is that it is a contradiction of what she was told before and it might annoy or confuse her. If you had never made the coloring boundaries, coloring on the wall could be very encouraging for a budding artist. I had a very good artist friend who at the ripe old adult age of over 25 confessed that she never forgave her mother for not providing her with art supplies when she was young!!

    ReplyDelete